My workbench

My workbench

Friday, February 21, 2014

LA Cuerva

Coldplay echos from most of a sound system. I (not so) nimbly dodge between swinging poi and a conversation in Spanish which appears heated on my mission to grab my tablet. I pause briefly, taking refuge from the wind for a moment behind the climbing wall which I have been playing with all day. My tablet and keyboard are quickly located in my dark tent, and I bring them back to the cooking, eating, hanging out area at La Cuerva, Friends of the Mountains in Clafate. I have spent the last few days here, helping to rebuild, enjoying relaxing days, throwing a party, and eating lots of good food. Languages have flucatuated from English to Hebrew, stopping briefly at French, German, Danish, and of course Spanish. Music, either songs from someone's media player or the band practicing, always fills the air. Smells of fresh bread, soups, pizza, potatoes, and heaps of other large group food have wafted through the air continuously. Slack lining and climbing has been a daily occurence, fun had by all encamped or living within. The fire which destroyed this structure nearly five months ago does nothing to damped the spirits of those residing on the property. From travelers, hitchhikers, bike tourists, and park rangers on vacation to those who live here year round, domiciles are formed from every concieable construction. Tents sit next to structures, from tiny homes to a geodesic dome made of cob, with every manner of family and wanderer within. We all work to rebuild, slowly but steadily, a labor of love but also art, avoiding the intense midday sun and instead working and eating late into the evening.

No comments: