My workbench

My workbench

Friday, February 21, 2014

reflections on last year



I got bored of working at REI and living in CT, and decided to go work with Shaun in Honduras. I headed north, wanting both to visit friends in Canada and attempt a different route across the US. I had a hard time from Detroit to Mississippi, but made up for it by having a blast in New Orleans and Austin. A chance glance at Craigslist landed me with a car heading to Montana, picking up a nice job tip along the way. I hung out and waited in NorCal to hear back from the job, and by May I was living and working on a boat bound for Alaska. A few months into the season I bailed (on good terms), and wandered around Europe, ostensibly for the last time. I returned to the US for dad's birthday, and hung out around the NYC area, doing a lot of nothing. I dated Kim for a while, but between wanderlust and her desire for chidren, we parted ways. New Years Eve saw me at a party with friends in Queens, soon to head off to yet another oddessy in South America. I write this now sitting in a small chocolate shop, looking out at the cloud-covered peak of Mt. Fitzroy, a 3000m mountaineering challenge. I am leaving here tomorrow to return to the big city for a moment, with a staunch promise to return. I plan on only being gone for a few weeks, as the wilderness here rivals my favorite of places, Alaska, without the ocean (or bears). I have no idea how much money I have left, save the few hundred argentine pesos in my wallet; quite frankly, I dont care. I have savings in the wings, and have a strange confidence that, even broke and without any other resources, I can get to wherever I am trying to go, either on this continent or any other. It is a strange and powerful feeling, once which threatens to overcome my normally stoic face with a wide grin. My life is truly an oddessy, and I am blessed.

No comments: